The Bureau of Muslim Settlements (BMS) shall be responsible for the promotion and development of Muslim Filipinos settlements in coordination with concerned agencies of the government, including coordination for relief assistance therefore, conduct studies and researches thereon, the monitoring of activities therein as well as the introduction of support programs for the benefit of the Muslim Communities which include the following:
- Maintaining copies and records of settlement proclamations;
- Actual physical inventory and determined current status of identified proclaimed settlement areas;
- Plotting of proclaimed, emerging and un-proclaimed settlement areas;
- Actual physical inventory and determine current status of identified proclaimed settlement areas
- Profiling of Muslim communities nationwide;
- Provision of housing project/s for Muslim communities nationwide;
- Relocation and rehabilitation of urban informal settlers and assistance on Land Title documentation; and
- Establishment and maintenance of Muslim Assistance and Disaster Response Centers (MADRC).
The Bureau coordinates activities with government agencies such as the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), Local Register of Deeds Offices, Land Registration Authority (LRA) and National Housing Authority (NHA), Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), other concerned government agencies and instrumentalities.
The Bureau of Muslim Settlements has two (2) divisions: